- Brake warning light comes on and stays on
- Grinding or squealing when you apply the brakes
- Vehicle pulls to one side when you apply the brakes
- Brake pedal feels “spongy”
- Brake pedal goes to the floor and/or requires excess pressure
Why are Brakes Important?
Your vehicle’s brake system is its most critical safety system and you should check it immediately if you suspect any problems. A properly operating brake system helps ensure safe vehicle control and operation under a wide variety of conditions.
Typical Wear and Tear – Brakes are a normal wear item for any car and eventually they’re going to need replacement. Avoid letting your brakes get to the “metal-to-metal” point, which usually means accelerating expensive rotor or drum replacement. Several factors that affect wear include:
- Driving habits
- Operating conditions
- Vehicle type
- The quality of brake lining material